to think carefully and deeply about something; to bring up and chew again what has already been chewed and swallowed
- ruminants have remarkable powers of rumination
- He ruminated over the implications of their decision.
- The question got us ruminating on the real value of wealth.
- philosophical ruminations about life and humanity
- The magazine’s erudite, elegant editor encouraged all sorts of arcane and experimental ruminations from his reviewers.
- Just when you think you have it all figured out, a new piece of evidence presents itself to invite more ruminations.