happening too soon or earlier than usual; born before the normal time
- Her premature death at age 30 stunned her family and friends.
- Too much exposure to the sun can cause the premature aging of skin.
- His retirement seems premature.
- It is premature to say [=too soon to say] what the cause of the fire was.
- a premature birth
- premature babies
- The baby was three weeks premature. [=the baby was born three weeks before it was expected to be born]
- She died prematurely.
- He was prematurely gray. = His hair went gray prematurely.
- The child was born prematurely.