tending to cause tears; tending to cry often
- a drama with a lachrymose hero
- …the more lachrymose mourners at the funeral required a steady supply of tissues…
- she was pink-eyed and lachrymose
- a lachrymose children’s classic
- ‘Surely,’ he wrote, ‘it is time to break with the lachrymose theory of pre-Revolutionary woe, and to adopt a view more in accord with historic truth.’
- He now almost disappears from the story, the rest of which relates, with lachrymose sentiment and many frissons of horror (including a hint of necrophilia), the misfortunes and eventual joys of young Melvil and Monimia.
- слезливый, плаксивый, плачущий, печальный, полный слез