a person who is being kept in a prison especially for political reasons; a person who is being detained
- pre-trial detainee
- political detainee
- A Guantanamo document even quoted a detainee as saying he was killed during the U.S. invasion of Afghanistan.
- RELEASING THE detainee PHOTOS: Cheney salutes the commander in chief.
- They clash over the treatment and status of detainees held in detention centres.
- In some cases, Egypt has often refused to acknowledge that detainees are in its custody.
- A Chinese detainee immediately called for a hunger strike, and was beaten as well.
задержанный, задержанный, арестованный