the act of saying something that is opposite or very different in meaning to something else; a difference or disagreement between two things which means that both cannot be true; a phrase that contains words which have very different or opposite meanings
- No one was surprised by the defendant’s contradiction of the plaintiff’s accusations.
- Her rebuttal contained many contradictions to my arguments.
- I think I can say without fear of contradiction [=I can say with absolute certainty] that this year has been very successful for our company.
- There have been some contradictions in his statements.
- There is a contradiction between what he said yesterday and what he said today.
- Her statements are mired in contradiction.
- What he said yesterday is in direct contradiction to what he said today.
- I think “working vacation” is a contradiction in terms.
- противоречие, противоположность, расхождение, опровержение, антагонистичность