someone who is known but who is not a close friend; the state of knowing someone in a personal or social way; the state of knowing someone as an acquaintance
- Is he an acquaintance of yours? [=have you met him?]
- She ran into an old acquaintance at the grocery store.
- My wife and I met through a mutual acquaintance. [=a friend introduced us to each other]
- a casual acquaintance
- friends and acquaintances
- our family’s close acquaintance with our neighbors
- It’s a pleasure to make your acquaintance. [=(less formally) it’s nice to meet you]
- She made the acquaintance of [=she met] a man from the city.
- She struck up an acquaintance with a man from the city.
- a doctor of my acquaintance [=a doctor that I know]
- He has more than a passing acquaintance with wine. [=he knows a lot about wine]
- While he has some acquaintance with the subject, he is not an expert.
- An acquaintanceship grew between the two men.
- знакомство, ознакомление, знакомый